Through expert medical management and advanced imaging techniques, our board certified Cardiologist can be a critical component of your pet’s total health care team.
While some cardiac conditions may be serious, many heart diseases are manageable on an outpatient basis and allow for a good quality of life. Early diagnosis and effective treatment will increase your pet’s opportunity to live a normal life.
The cardiology service at Premier – Grayslake is committed to providing an exceptional level of care for veterinary patients suffering from various cardiac & pulmonary (lung) diseases in patients of all ages. Management of patients with both disease processes can be a challenge, but is something our service does on a regular basis using years of experience and advanced diagnostic imaging equipment.
Heart disease is usually broken down into two categories.
- Congenital heart diseases are cardiac abnormalities that your pet was born with.
- Acquired heart diseases are absent at birth but develop as your pet grows older.
Premier can diagnose and treat both of these conditions to help improve your pet’s quality of life.
Pets that exhibit any of the following symptoms may benefit from a cardiac evaluation:
- Heart murmur
- Shortness of breath or breathing problems
- Chronic cough
- Heart arrhythmia (irregular heart beat)
- Hypertension (high blood pressure)
- Congenital heart defects
- Fluid accumulation in chest or abdomen
- Exercise intolerance
Pets at risk for anesthesia may also be evaluated by our cardiologist to assess possible risk to develop the most appropriate treatment plan.